What there is to know
- Hide your IP address in Safari: Settings > Safari > Hide IP address > tap the preferred option.
- Use iCloud Private Relay: Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Private Relay > move the cursor to on/green.
- Other options for hiding your IP address include using a VPN and using an ad blocker.
This article explains how to use the built-in tools to hide your IP address on iPhone and what happens when you do.
How to Hide Your IP Address on iPhone in Safari
iPhone gives you a number of free built-in tools to hide your iPhone’s IP address from websites, ad trackers, and other parties looking for your data. Your IP, or Internet Protocol, address is a unique address assigned to your iPhone when it’s online that can be used to track your activity, build a profile of you, target ads, or sell data.
One of the most important places to hide your IP address is the Safari web browser. This is where the vast majority of parties who want to track your IP address will try to gain access. Follow these steps to hide your IP in Apple’s preinstalled Safari browser:
Faucet Hide IP address.
On this screen, you have two options:
- Trackers and websites: This prevents advertising technology that tracks you across many different websites, as well as websites you visit directly, from tracking your IP address.
- Trackers only: This only blocks ad trackers, but allows websites to see your IP address. You might need it if a website requires you to be in a certain country to access it (your IP address can be used to determine which country you are in) or if you have professional websites set up to work specifically with your IP adress.
Tap the option you prefer and your IP address will be hidden in Safari.
How to Hide Your IP Address on iPhone Using iCloud Private Relay
While Safari is the way trackers track your IP address, it’s not the only way. Advertising trackers may be inserted invisibly into emails sent to you. Apps can do all kinds of tracking, including your IP address, to help build user profiles that are sold to target ads (App Tracking Transparency can help). So, if you really want to hide your IP address and maintain your privacy, you need to take another step.
Apple’s iCloud Private Relay is similar to a VPN (virtual private network) and can hide your IP address. It’s included with all paid iCloud+ plans (which start at US$0.99/month). When iCloud Private Relay is enabled on your iPhone, your IP address is hidden from everyone, even Apple!
To turn on iCloud Private Relay, first make sure you have iCloud+, then follow these steps:
Faucet [your name].
Faucet Private Relay.
move it Private Relay cursor to on/green.
Faucet IP address location.
This lets you control how your iPhone appears on trackers and websites. This is important if you need to be in a certain country and/or time zone to use certain sites or programs. Touch either Maintain general location Where Use country and time zone.
Blocking your IP address is a useful privacy measure that usually won’t cause you any problems. However, there are certain situations where you need your IP address to be detected. For example, if you subscribe to a streaming service that offers different content in different countries, the service may use your IP address to determine which country you are in. If he can’t, he can block your access. Some programs and work tools also rely on the fact that you are connected to an internal IP address belonging to the company. In these cases, you may need to disable your IP address blockers.
Other Ways to Hide Your IP Address on iPhone
Both methods mentioned so far are easy and powerful ways to hide your IP address on your iPhone, but they are not the only options. Here are some other options to consider:
- Email Privacy Protection: This feature in iOS 15 and later blocks invisibly embedded ad trackers in emails. Activate it by going to Settings > Mail > Privacy > move Protect email activity slider to on/green.
- Hide IP in Cellular Settings: You can block ad trackers in Mail and Safari with just one setting. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular data options > move the Limit IP Address Tracking slider to on/green.
- VPNs: When you connect to the internet using a VPN, all the data you send and receive is routed through a highly secure VPN connection. This hides your IP address. As mentioned above, iCloud Private Relay is similar to a VPN, but you can also subscribe to paid VPN services.
- Ad blockers: If you’re most concerned about hiding your IP address from ad trackers, the Safari and Mail tips above will help a lot. If you want to take it a step further, install a third-party ad blocker app. Make sure the one you choose can block trackers.
How to change your iPhone’s IP address?
To change your iPhone’s IP address, go to Settings > Wireless and press the Information icon (i) next to the network name. Faucet Renew the lease > Renew the lease (to confirm). Renewing the lease may reset your router’s DHCP.
How to find the IP address on an iPhone?
Go to Settings > Wireless and press the Information icon (i) next to the network name. Under IPv4 Address, you can view your IP address. If you want to change it manually here, tap Configure IP and enter a new address.
How to find the MAC address on an iPhone?
The MAC address of your iPhone is called the Wi-Fi address. To find the MAC address on an iPhone, go to Settings > General > About > Wi-Fi address. You will see it listed on the right.
Please let us know!
Tell us why!
Not enough details
Difficult to understand