Nikon is a world leader in imaging products, and its technologies continue to shape the photographic industry. Although known for its cameras, Nikon also produces a range of other products, many of which can expand your creative possibilities. The company’s recent firmware update 2.0 for Nikon Z 9 cameras is no different.
The Z 9 is already a fantastic video camera, and the long-promised update will add support for Apple ProRes Raw. Nikon said YM Cinema“The future firmware update will enable the capture of 12-bit raw video formats. These formats include N-RAW as well as ProRes RAW HQ. Let’s see what we know about the new firmware update.
Nikon Z9 Firmware 2.0
Nikon recently announced the upcoming release of its Nikon Z 9 Firmware 2.0. The highly anticipated update is expected to deliver a variety of high performance updates for both stills and video shooting. This will open up your creativity even more and streamline your pre- and post-production workflows.
With these upgrades, photographers can choose from up to 20 wide-area AF patterns, along with the ability to enable a higher refresh rate (up to 120 fps) for camera brightness (3,000 nits) electronic viewfinder display. The Z 9 also offers pre-output image capture and the ability to recall focus positions with multiple camera buttons.
The Nikon Z9 already has impressive video specs at launch. With Firmware version 2.0, users will be able to see what the camera is really capable of in film productions. Along with the addition of 8.3K 60p raw recording, there are also more video assist features and better controls. Here are some of the awesome video updates.
Key Features of Firmware 2.0:
- Internal RAW video recording at 12-bit 8.3K/60p
- 12-bit ProRes RAW HQ internal video
- Internal Nikon N-RAW 12-bit video
- New waveform display monitor to confirm and monitor your exposure
- New preview capture for stills
- In-camera motion mix for photos
- Fine-tuning with ISO sensitivity
- New improved AF modes (20 new extended modes, 12 new video modes)
- 120fps EVF refresh rate
- Red recording frame displayed on viewfinder
- Save Consecutive Images function
- AWB improvements
- Focus recall
Z 9 Upgrade
The Z9 made headlines when it was released, and here’s a recap in case you missed anything. The Nikon Z9 is quite simply the best professional camera Nikon has ever made. Among the latest professional mirrorless cameras from the company, it represents a big step forward in professional photography that is packed with impressive features.
The Z 9 shoots bursts at an astonishing 120 frames per second. Additionally, it can capture JPEG/RAW images at up to 20fps with a huge 1000 frame buffer. It also uses Deep Learning AF, which improves focusing powers. Meanwhile, the back-illuminated sensor offers excellent low-light performance.
Main features of the Z9:
- 45.7-megapixel stacked full-frame CMOS sensor
- 3.2-inch, 2,360,000-dot tilting screen
- 4K UHD video resolution
- EXPEED 7 Image Processor
- 8K 30p and 4K 120p, 10-bit internal video
- Up to 20 fps in RAW, 30 fps in JPEG
- 493-point phase detection AF system
- AI-based subject detection and tracking
- Real live viewfinder without failure
- 3.2″ 4-axis tilting LCD touch screen
- 2x CFexpress Type B slots
- 5GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GNSS
Among the best Nikon cameras, you’ll find mirrorless cameras that are up to date with the latest technology, as well as powerful DSLRs and a lens selection that dates back decades. You can find a Nikon camera that suits your needs, whether you are a beginner, an amateur or a professional.
Nikon has promised that this future update will make its flagship mirrorless camera compatible with Apple ProRes Raw HQ, a codec that offers the ease of editing of Apple ProRes along with the flexibility of RAW video. Once the free firmware update is released on April 20, you will be able to download it here.